February is Black History Month. Even though I think Black history is an important part of American history that should be taught all year long, I also think it's important to focus on it more during this month because for so long it was left in the dark. Now, it's hard to teach history to preschoolers because history is hard and you want to do it justice. These super cool crafts and activities for black history months includes many African-American heroes like Rosa parks, Ruby Bridges, Besse Coleman and many more.
Black history is a big topic with a lot of stories, and many preschool teachers wonder how we can teach anything without teaching everything. As a preschool teacher, I spend a lot of my time breaking down big ideas and skills into smaller ones that my students can learn. I decided that was the way I would do this, too. Even though my students are too young to understand complicated historical events, I decided that they would love to learn about Garrett Morgan, who invented the modern traffic light, while I was doing research.
Handprint arts are special but this one is super special as it shows that no matter what color you are, you are equally valued. Hence, I love these black history month handprint art keepsake free printable. Get your copy today!
Here are some awesome 10 Black history month craft and activity ideas for preschoolers:
1. African Masks craft: Preschoolers can create their own African masks using craft materials such as construction paper, feathers, and paint. This activity allows them to learn about the cultural significance of masks in African societies.
2. Martin Luther King Jr. Handprint: Use black and white paint to create a handprint craft honoring Martin Luther King Jr. Preschoolers can add details such as a peace sign or the word "love" to their handprint to represent King's message of nonviolence and equality.
3. African Drumming activity : Teach preschoolers some simple rhythms and have them create their own drums using empty containers and rubber bands. This activity promotes gross motor skills and cultural awareness.
4. Rosa Parks Collage: Gather pictures of Rosa Parks and other influential figures in Black history for preschoolers to create a collage. Encourage them to use glue and scissors to arrange the images on construction paper.
5. Black History Month Word Search: Create a word search using important figures, events, and terms related to Black history. Preschoolers can have fun searching for the words and learning more about the topic.
6. Langston Hughes Poetry: Read some of Langston Hughes' poetry to preschoolers and encourage them to create their own poetry using simple words and rhythms. This activity promotes literacy and creativity.
7. Harriet Tubman Paper Bag Puppet craft : Use a brown paper bag and craft materials such as construction paper, googly eyes, and markers to create a Harriet Tubman puppet. Preschoolers can have fun acting out scenes from Tubman's life and learning about her bravery and leadership.
8. Black History Month Google slides : Let's celebrate Black History month by honoring the African American Heroes- ‘Bessie Coleman, Martin Luther King Jr. , Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Jesse Owens, George Washington Carver, Ruby Bridge, Jackie Robinson, Barack Obama – These 150 Google Slide are a great and a fun way to teach your preschoolers and kindergarteners about the civil movement.
9. Black History Month BINGO: Create a BINGO game using important figures, events, and terms from Black history. Preschoolers can have fun learning and playing together.
10. African Folktales: Read some African folktales to preschoolers and encourage them to create their own stories using characters and elements from the tales. This activity promotes literacy, creativity, and cultural awareness.
11. Jazz Music: Play some jazz music for preschoolers and encourage them to move and dance along.
12. Black History Crafts Printable: These cute and adorable crafts are just what you might be looking for your preschool for black history month